Bacon Straws

This is the only appetizer you’ll need for the rest of the holiday season.  S-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y! It travels well and was a big hit at Thanksgiving.

bacon straws

The thin strips of bacon and flaky pastry stays crisp for hours.  It’s sweet, savory, and very bacon-y. Don’t let the pinch of cayenne scare you. I promise this recipe is not hot in the least! So please do not omit it from the recipe. You’ll see…

Sometimes the mention of pastry is enough to scare people away but don’t worry, it’s puff pastry! Like—the kind that is ready to bake and requires zero prep work outside of being defrosted.  This entire recipe took 30 minutes to prepare (while taking massive amounts of photos) so let’s call it 15. Add another 30 minutes to bake. By the time you’re finished getting your party things together your mouthwatering appetizer will be ready to go.

bacon strawsbacon strawsbacon strawsbacon strawsbacon straws

bacon strawsbacon strawsbacon strawsbacon strawsbacon strawsbacon straws

Bacon Straws

makes 24 straws

prep time 15-20 minutes

bake time 30 minutes

Ingredients

1 sheet puff pastry

12 strips of thick cut bacon

1/2 tsp chopped rosemary

1/3 c brown sugar

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp water

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 385F.

Cut bacon lengthwise.

Using a pizza cutter slice the puff pastry into thin strips.

Twist one piece of bacon and one piece of puff pastry together.

Lay them on a cooling rack that is stacked on top of a baking sheet lined with foil. This will prevent them from becoming a greasy and soggy mess.

Bake for 25 minutes.

In the meantime, make the glaze.

Combine the rosemary, brown sugar, cayenne, and water into a small bowl.

Raise the temperature to 400F and bake for another 5 minutes.

Remove the straws from the oven and leave the oven on at 400F.

Brush the glaze on. You don’t have to brush them on all sides, just the top will do.

Put the straws back in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Gently remove the straws from the racks and enjoy!

bacon strawsI solemnly swear that this could be the best recipe I’ve ever come up with.  This might be as good as it gets! Good luck with your appetizer bringing throughout the holidays and have a good weekend.

xoxo, Jessica (aw2sl)

Facebook / Instagram / Twitter / Bloglovin‘ / Pinterest

Lovely comments

1. Alyssa says

These look AMAZING! What’s better then bacon and buttery pastry dough? … NOTHING. Definitely making them this weekend! YUMMY

• Michael Smith says

Since this all revolves around bacon, being so good, I would just add a humorous note to the bacon theme[meme?] “Bacon wrapped bacon! Go Bacon 2016!

2. says

Jessica, this looks like the perfect appetizer- I can see this at New Years Eve and at Super Bowl parties, too! Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! 🙂

3. michelle says

Success! I just made these last night for a work Christmas party. I set the tray down, garnished it with a few rosemary sprigs, and went to find an outlet for my hot cider. When I returned, oh 5 minutes later, they were gone. I am not exaggerating! A tip for those trying the recipe, I used thick cut bacon as it tends to be meatier and stayed together better when cutting thin strips (I tested three different types of bacon). Also, because I was already cutting strips of puff pastry and chopping rosemary, I made a vegetarian version. I twisted the puff pastry strip (without bacon) and brushed it with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and parmesan. These were tasty too, although they didn’t hold a candle to Jessica’s original bacon-y recipe! Thanks for sharing this!

• Jessica says

Thanks for returning with the great feedback. I really appreciate it! The thick cut bacon is a must for this recipe. Your vegetarian version sounds very appetizing!

4. says

I think you are right! This might be the only appetizer I need for the rest for the season! We have a motto here…bacon makes everything tastes better. I am definitely making these! Thanks for sharing them with us at Foodie Fridays…I’m pinning and yumming and I’ll be sharing them on my Facebook page tomorrow! They look awesome!

5. Brenda H. says

i just made these for Super Bowl Sunday. Everyone loves them even my grand daughters who are very picky! These will be on my holiday menus from here on out. Outstanding!

• Jessica says

I’ve never made them ahead of time so I can’t honestly recommend it. If I was going to give it a try I would prep all of the ingredients up until you put them in the oven. Don’t put any glaze on ahead of time or they’ll become soggy! Let me know how it goes. xo

Trackbacks

1. […] Bacon Straws from Army Wife to Suburban LifeI don’t think these guys would make it out the door of our house but if they did, they’d be perfect to take to a party!  Oh, and check out her Pinterest boards, they are gorgeous! […]